Saturday, April 9, 2011

You will know me

You will know me by the way I walk
Like I don't know
where the hell I'm going
to but maybe want to get there
quick as a rock swung
out from a slingshot
arcing up'ndown as I move

And you'll know me more by that look
right there on my face
not askin' what you're staring
at but tellin' you "keep walking,
keep walking, jackass"
while I clutch my keys one
by one by one by one between
my fingers like brass knuckles

You will know me by my spit
trickling down my chin 'til
I wipe it away on my sleeve
I'll spit again at your feet
mucus/saliva mixed with blood
a few teeth fresh from fighting
a few chiclets chewed up good
formed into a tiny bubble

But, baby, I won't know you from no one
so I've been acting this game out all day
maybe all my life even as I
tough it all out like you're meant to
turning my vulnerabilities into sin

You'll know me, that's for sure
so when you see me, just let me know
stomp my toes beneath your heel
give a little wave-smile
and say, "don't I know you from
somewhere?  Yeah, class of '82."
It'll make no sense
'cause that's the way we are

No comments: