Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife

I just finished reading this book.  It's weird, because I know that it was good for my writing, but the whole story was extremely painful.  The author wrote beautiful descriptions and actually maintained my interest through longs segments lacking dialogue, which usually causes my mind to wander, but why did she have to be so sad?  The title basically tells you what the story's about: a man who spontaneously time travels, and his wife, who waits for him.  But her entire life becomes waiting for him, even after he's died.

Which you know is going to happen pretty early on.  It just was so awful.  I finished the book and sobbed and sobbed because it was a terrible ending- to leave her waiting for one last meeting with her dead husband.  Love conquers time, my ass.  Time conquers love, more like.

The writing is lovely, though, so I'm sure it's very good for the aspiring author...

No comments: