Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hearing back from schools!

Yikes, it is stressful to think that I haven't got any clue where I'll be living for the next 6-8 years of my life (a number roughly estimated based on the ratio of shadows in my room to dust on the furniture).  I can't even honestly say what my first choice would be, though I do think I'd be happier in a PhD versus MFA program.  Well, not happier per se, but it would cut some time studying in a student capacity in the long run.

So, I heard back from the first program, UCSD, and I am in to their MFA in Writing program.  I'm pretty excited, because San Diego is just a fantastic location, apart from it being far away from home and all.  It is close to the border and the ocean and Arizona (shout out to L!)!  It seems very dreamy to think of writing poetry in the sun :)

Of course, it is like $40,000 for the first year alone.  Yikes.  Crazy out of state tuition!

Still, it is nice to think that I will end up going somewhere.  Won't just be all non-admitted and weepy.  Will still be weepy when each rejection letter comes in, but am trying to stay positive!  The next result apparently comes at 8:00a.m. Friday from UC Davis's Cultural Studies PhD program.  I know it is at 8a.m. because they sent me an email with the precise date and time.  How... punctual?

I'll let you know as I know.  Think I will write poems using the rejection letters, as this seems to be a fun practice other folks do :)

No comments: