Friday, October 26, 2012

Autobio

It seems like I need to start writing slightly autobiographical or at least realist fiction-y pieces.  Seriously.  Maybe poetry all alone doesn't work for readings very well.  But I can't think what to write about...

The problem is I want to get more involved with readings, like doing So Say We All events or actually submitting to This American Life.  I went to SSWA VAMP event last night to hear my friend H read a poetic prose piece.  It was an amazing event- really high quality readings, and H's poem was super well performed and sexy.

But how can I sustain a piece for long enough to make it a performance? Just reading various poems in an unconnected manner seems very boring.

Anyway, so I am trying to think of something autobio-esque to write about.  But they all seem slow- like talking to a man in Tokyo who learned English during WWII.  Or maybe a ghost story.  I just feel like I don't have anything interesting to talk about....

Anyway, I'm going to try to do daily diary type posts here again because I did a really nice job while in Japan and seem to steal material from there a lot.  Then something will present itself.

Good plan?

No comments: