Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Well, the reviews just won't happen

I've been reading, I promise, but I can't seem to get even brief reviews done for all that I read. On account of that great, miserable, unfortunate, deplorable failing, I will in this thread list all the books I've read since September 10th 2009 and to September 10th, 2010. As you may recall, I think waiting 'til New Years' to make a resolution is lame. It's just a procrastinatory measure. Oh, spell check is unhappy...

Anywho, here is the list. I will include the reviews if I've written them. Unless I get bored. Am worst blogger in history. Then again, they're pretty new, so really I haven't got much to be put against have I? Anyway, it's newest finished closest to the top. And, by the by, I do not include books I'm rereading on this list, though I reread a lot, so be impressed, punk.

12/1/09 Summary- Thirteen books! Be amazed! I'm a grad student, after all, so this is in addition to course readings. Okay, so... (am mathing in another place) about twelve weeks have passed since I started. Twelve times one is twelve (yes, I really did just think that out- see how I love you, I update when I am exhausted.). Which means I'm one book ahead! And I'll probably finish Five Children and It before the real twelve weeks hits (Thursday). Feeling good! Plus, I plan to read pretty much the whole Series of Unfortunate event series (redundant much?) after the quarter ends. Yay! Optimism!

June 8 2010-- Well, I finally am getting around to updating pretty much everything I read extracurricularly Winter and Spring quarters.  Wow, a lot of updating to do...Will probably be getting a lot more reading done now that I'm out of the school- rah! ... except I'm researching so much this sum-muh.

edit note: though I did do summer quarter... done tomorrow!

August 27 2010: oops, apparently I miscounted at some point -- So, hurrah- am done!

Kafka on the Shore- Murakami

Nine Pound Hammer- Bemis

Break of Day- Colette

Never Let Me Go- Ishiguro

Hate that Cat- Creech

Cabinet of Curiosities- Preston and Child

Teaching to Transgress- bell hooks

Critical Race Theory: An Intro

Slow Fat Triathlete- Jayne Williams

The Stranger - Albert Camus

The Problem of Pain - C.S. Lewis

The Old Man and the Sea- Ernest Hemingway

Maisie Dobbs-Jacqueline Winspear

Goodbye, Mr. Chips - James Hamilton

After Dark- Haruki Murakami

Eat, Pray, Love- Elizabeth Gilbert

House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies- Ed. Henry Jacoby

Girls in Peril- Karen Lee Boren

Polyverse- Lee Ann Brown

History of Sexuality Volume 1- Michele Foucault

How to Train Your Dragon- Cressida Cowell

Geography- Kelli Russell Agodon

The Cancer Journals- Audre Lorde

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- Stieg Larsson

Ghost Boy- Iain Lawrence

Moon Opera- Bi Feiyu

The Bluest Eye- Toni Morrison

Disquiet- Julia Leigh--Creeeeepy!

The Possession- Annie Ernaux

Beauty Salon- Mario Bellatin-- Hauntingly interesting.  Highly recommended!

A is for Alibi- Sue Grafton

A Single Man- Christopher Isherwood

Gentlemen of the Road- Michael Chabon-- Don't be fooled!  Even though it's by the fabulous Michael Chabon, this book is TERRIBLE.  Possibly the worst book I've ever read.  I want to buy and burn it, but then I'd be financially supporting this crap. I'm not even linking it because it is so bad.

Letter to My Daughter- George Bishop Jr.

The Malady of Death- Marguerite Duras

Newcomer Can't Swim- Renee Gladman

A Picture-feeling- Renee Gladman

The Activist- Renee Gladman

The Yiddish Policemen's Union-Michael Chabon

A Mercy- Toni Morrison

Shutter Island- Dennis Lehane

Little Women- Louisa May Alcott


Hard Times- Charles Dickens

Geography Club- Brent Hartinger


Empress of the World- Sara Ryan

Ash- Malinda Lo

I, Rigoberta Menchu- Rigoberta Menchu

Frame Structures: Early Poems: 1974-1979- Susan How
e

Juice- Renee Gladman

The War- Marguerite Duras

The Lover- Marguerite Duras

Trans-Liberation- Leslie Feinberg

The Jungle Book- Rudyard Kipling

A Series of Unfortunate Events Book the Fourth: the Miserable Mill- Lemony Snicket

The Gates- John Connolly

Five Children and It- Nesbit

The Afterlife- Soto

A Series of Unfortunate Events Book the Third: The Wide Window- Lemony Snicket

Crossing the Wire- Hobbs

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days- Kinney

Slaughter-house Five- Vonnegut

Esperanza Rising- Munoz Ryan

Push- Sapphire

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- Barrows and Shaffer

Peter and the Shadow Thieves- Barry and Pearson


Elsewhere- Zevin

Border Crossing- Cruz

It's nice to find a book out there dealing with the experiences of multiracial children, but this book was only decently written. Sometimes, it felt more like a lecture than an illustrated lesson, and the coincidences were a little too far-fetched to be believable. Plus, there was a pretty noticeable typo regarding which country San Diego was in- at one point the narrator gets off the bus in San Diego and is suddenly in Mexico. Overall, though, the novel covers themes not expressed at all or at all effectively elsewhere and fills a gap with mediocre skill.

Love That Dog- Creech

Told through the poem's enclosed in a boy's school journal, Love That Dog is a story of loss, healing, and artistic awakening. One of the most original children's stories I've ever read and uniquely beautiful among Creech's plethora of gorgeous works. A wonderful book to introduce to young artists not yet mature enough to take on Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet.

Let Me In- Lindqvist

While many literary critics quickly associate the voice of John Ajvide Lindqvist with other more well-known writers of the horror genre, Lindqvist should be noted as a young artist noteworthy for his particular distinctness of story-telling and narrative. In an era that has seen the violent vampire myth turned into a romantic topic of teen angst, Lindqvist imagines vampirism in its darkest hours, weaving a tale of murder, sadism, and everyday suffering, in which it is not so much the vampires as the humans who are the monsters.

Lindqvist's take on the necessities for the modern vampire's survival is innovative and disturbing; the vampire-girl Eli lives in the body of a 12-year-old and thus depends on a middle-aged pedophile to support her need for blood. She is too young for work but cannot survive in a modern world without financial assets, and so takes money from her victims. As a vampire or vampire-like creature, she does not kill for pleasure but purely to survive, and the author clearly illustrates for readers that most people-turned-vampire cannot make the choice to kill, and instead commit suicide.

While the story primarily focuses on the extended life of Eli and her new friend Oskar, a viciously bullied 12-year-old boy, it also shows how their situations affect those around them. Vampirism is treated as an epidemic that Eli attempts to contain but which somehow continues to spread throughout the novel, creating on particularly terrifying character both in appearance and mannerism. The town of Blackeberg itself becomes a character, treated as the Transylvania of the Bram Stoker novel.

No comments: