Sunday, December 4, 2011

Stages of Editing?

Okay, so I just realized I've got Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, which is about the writing process.  The trouble is, I can't tell from the contents what chapter is about editing.  Or chapterssssss.  I'm pretty sure Part One: Writing is more about getting the piece out.  The second section is "The Writing Frame of Mind," which I don't really intend on ever reading...  The third part is "Help Along the Way" which tells me how to get other people to edit for me.  The last section is on publication...

In any event, Elizabeth tells me there are three ways to edit, and she is v. wise.  Those three ways of editing are:
1) copy editing
2) content editing
3).... the other one...

Well, obviously that cannot help me until she wakes up.  Will send out "wake up" messages via telepathy.  Maybe if I stare at her through the wall, she will wake up.  And it will be so effective, she will just tell me the third and I'll continue.

...

Anyway.  I've read the first page.  That is a start.  I am pulled toward copy editing because that's easiest.  But I must instead read for overall flow!  That must be the place to begin.  Make sure the thing makes sense.  Then say "y' need more 'ere, luv" or whatnot when such times approach.  And cut!  As needed!

The trouble is, then I'd have to go back through to edit for lame writing bits and make them shiny.

Then I'd have to read through again for copy editing.

This is assuming my first go throughs of stages work out well enough to continue.

Where is Ezra Pound when you need him?

No comments: