Sunday, February 7, 2010

the rub

A rant.

I really really really really want to reread Howl's Moving Castle and wish to high heaven that I could drop all reading and devour that book once again RIGHT NOW. Alas, alack, and woe to me, I must finish Little Women and Summer Will Show for my book clubs first. Then, I really ought to get some sort of queer theory text finished-- a few have come in at the library and once I pick them up they'll feel like time bombs sitting on my shelf, waiting to explode me into a million little pieces, which is also the title of a book.

Anyway, Little Women is a bloody long thing. It just keeps going. There seems to be no continuing plotline except Jo working on controlling her temper and a tiny bit of romance between Meg and Laurie's tutor, whose name I cannot recollect. Plus, the damned book is having a toll on my writing and particular choice of vocabulary and I do not like it ONE BIT.

Not the book, I mean. I do like it a few bits- many bits in fact. It is sweet and I like Jo's transgenderedness (not transexualness- look them up minus the ed ness if you like). But I am pretty sure the lass'll be identifying as a woman by the end of the book-- the title spoils all, you see.

I'm also listening to Hard Times by Dickens in the car and would just like it to be done as well. I'm thinking that Librivox (free books on tapes of manuscripts in the public domain) might have Summer Will Show (let's check now-- drat! hasn't! Anyway, I've got loads of books to read). I don't much like Hard Times, which is a shame, on account of I've loved most Dickens books in past. Well, all three anyway (Oliver Twist, Christmas Carol, Edwin Drood).

Anyway, I'm trying to hold off on Howl's Moving Castle and hope this mad desire will propell me through Little Women and Summer Will Show. Here's hoping!

<3

No comments: