Thursday, February 18, 2010

Writing Practicum #4 (I think...)

I lost track of the numbers. Oh well.

Mi Rebozo-

Mi rebozo mi rebozo,
a vine creeping down my torso
not like a noose in the slightest
around my neck- my rebozo

You smell like perfume, oodles and oodles of perfume, that I sprayed on you before locking you in a drawer for five days straight. Those were cold days when my neck felt bare like it was just waiting for a vampire to come over and take a nip.

It couldn't be helped. That man, the drunk one, you know, he threw up all over the train and I was in the same car. The stench- it carries and you, my rebozo, you caught it- you sacrificed your loveliness to keep the smell from carrying to the engineer, who surely would have crashed from the terrible odor's intensity.

Mi rebozo mi rebozo,
a vine creeping down my torso
nostalgically catching the wind
always de moda- rebozo

I tore you- you must forgive my carelessness. You came with a tag for washing instructions and I couldn't very well have a store-bought rebozo. What would the other Latin@s think? They would think, "that poor girl- nobody loves her. See how she has had to pay for her rebozo."

Which isn't true at all, for I've got a homemade rebozo too- I've got two. But those ones aren't so long and aren't half so bright, and don't make me feel like an old film star at all. They make me feel like I reek of la frontera, las fronteras, like the vomit of that man on the train that hangs on you, my poor rebozo, even behind the perfume.

So I cut the tag off, and cut a bit of you off along with it.

Mi rebozo mi rebozo
a vine creeping down my torso
que hermoso, que hermoso
my fills the sky rebozo

Mi rebozo favorito, you did not come from Chile, you did not come from México, you probably did not even come from Kawagoe, where I bought you on sale for less than $10. But you shine like that bell tower in Kawagoe and you glisten like the sands of Monte Albán and you sparkle like the sea off the coast of Valparaíso. You are woven with memories for I have forced them in between the yarns.

Just like you smell (mostly) beautiful because I have doused you in Marc Jacob's Daisy. You smell just like me.

Mi rebozo mi rebozo

No comments: