Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To the Lady

TO THE LADY by Mitsuye Yamada



The one in San Francisco who asked:

Why did the Japanese Americans let

the government put them in

those camps without protest?



Come the think of it I

should’ve run off to Canada

should’ve hijacked a plane to Algeria

should’ve pulled myself up from my

bra straps

and kicked ‘m in the groin

should’ve bombed a bank

should’ve tried self-immolation

should’ve holed myself up in a

woodframe house

and let you watch me

burn up on the six o’clock news

should’ve run howling down the street

naked and assaulted you at breakfast

by AP wirephoto

should’ve screamed bloody murder

like Kitty Genovese



Then

YOU would’ve



come to my aid in shining armor

laid yourself across the railroad track

marched on Washington

tattooed a Star of David on your arm

written six million enraged

letters to Congress



But we didn’t draw the line

anywhere

law and order Executive Order 9066

social order moral order internal order



You let’m

I let’m

All are punished

No comments: