Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Exiled to Advancement

Alas, today my primary, secondary, and tertiary desks were all in use, and so I was exiled to Advancement.  Apparently L, one of the student workers, has got herself a new job, so I sat at her very exposed work station so far away from those with whom I work.  It was cold over there, and drafty.  Pretty sure I've caught my death.

In any event, strange things are afoot.  There are men sitting at a few of my past desk spaces, working to typingly conjure tornadoes.  Where did these men come from?  I got a memo saying they would be here, but did not understand the acronyms.  Maybe I should have looked them up...

The good thing about Advancement is they always have food.  Wait wait.  The bad thing about Advancement is they always have junk food.  Pastries just sitting, rotting away, longing to be eaten.  Who doesn't, after all?  ...

I had a strawberry.  Willpower! 

In any event, in case I am again exiled tomorrow, I am bringing a jacket.  I think the cold put a damper on my entire day.  I did not plan my outfit for my sweater to be worn all day, thank you very much.  The seating arrangement really cramped my style.

The worst part of being at a station you've never worked at before is having to relocate all of your bookmarks sans addresses, reprogram Outlook, re-ad the Academic Affairs inbox, find some less dismal wallpaper, and, well, you get the picture.  It is also very hard to find a cute picture of Dubs, the eponymous Husky mascot, whilst sitting so exposed.  Oh, and there were about 50 glass vases on a shelf above me.  I kept thinking how cut up/dead I'd be in the event of an earthquake.  If I end up there again, I will ask if I can move them... but where?

Never mind, workplace safety is my right- rawr! 

No comments: