Sunday, October 10, 2010

Explanation

Fine, so here it is.  I have gotten a few comments regarding my lack of updating-ness, and I'd just like to say that I've got a number of good reasons.

I was quite sick the week before last- strep throat with lymph node infection and tonsillitis.  Came very close to needing SURGERY- yeek!  Got an IV drip and everything- qué locura!  Anyway, I was so sick that I missed the first day of my elective class.  I wrote the prof an email, but her reply pretty much implied that I would have a lot of difficulty catching up, and really wouldn't be able to miss any other days.  Which, of course, is no good- I can't depend on my back not to act up, durn it!

So, I had to scramble about last week to get a whole bunch of one and two credit courses, so that I have enough electives to be a full-time student by all the crazy university mechanism standards.  Because I know that you are interested, here are the courses I am taking:

---
BEDUC 591 - Diversity Council Internship for Graduate
Students
(1-5 Credits – Grading is Credit/ No Credit. By Permission of Instructor.) Students will work
closely with the Chair of the Diversity Council as they take leadership roles in training and
supervising working groups, overseeing the implementation of projects, and providing updates to
the Council on diversity projects.

Students in all UWB Programs are encouraged to apply. Students will be able to select one of the
Council’s five working groups for their internship. 1. Student Recruitment, Retention, and Support
Diversity helps us celebrate our differences and embrace the ways in which we are interdependent
a. A major project for this group is to design and implement student surveys and focus groups
2. Curriculum a. A major project for this group is to develop and implement a Diversity Minor
3. Technology a. A major project for this group is to design and launch a diversity webpage.
4. Faculty Recruitment, Retention, and Support a. A major project for this group is to publish a
guidebook for faculty recruitment and to organize
and implement faculty focus groups.
5. Training Issues a. A major project of this group is to launch a series of activities designed
to increase awareness of diversity throughout the
campus. A project designed around common books on diversity will be launched winter quarter 2011.

--
Policy Studies directed research with DJ:
Human Rights, Human Capital and Migration. (with an excellent prof I work with)
--
*HUM 595A: Poverty, Democracy, and Public Scholarship. 1 credit (C/NC). Reading Ananya Roy's Poverty Capital.
---
Policy Journal board- 2 credits
---

Reader/grader position- 1 credit-- for Human Rights course

--

The real trouble is getting them all on my transcript-- it is taking a bit to clear everything up.  Until they show up, I am stressed!  eek!

Also, I have doctoral program apps, which means I am researching progs (though you may have seen that I've a list of what I'm applying to now), studying to retake the GRE, working on my writing samples, making a CV, doing statements of purpose, etc. etc. etc.  Plus, I am way overloading my academic schedule to make my CV look good-- doing a conference this Friday and Saturday plus the one I had a few weeks ago.  Plus trying to get in other proposals.  Plus applying for RA positions!

Madness, I say!

So, I'd better get back to homeworks so that I can get printings done for PhD prog research tonight.  Suffice to say, I am a busy potato. 

<3

No comments: