Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Neil Gaiman is so cute!

As if that were his crown achievement...



Man wins more awards than you need to float a house to South America, and all that stays with us is his insane beauty. What is the world coming to? (by the world, by the way, I mean me. Look how this comment just floats parenthetically in the middle of nowhere- singularity-esque.)

I have been so impressed with the work of modern photographers lately (as opposed to fifty years ago? What a bad joke...). I'm not sure if you remember the image of Felicia Day by the Bui Brothers:



Also am blown away every time I look up all the work that Tony Jay did in his brief but beautiful life by the amazing photograph on IMDB (note: it is linked from some random elsewhere, but I think IMDB has the rights??? Oh... World of Warcraft is in the html... what can this mean?):




I also highly (highly... see, if you put it inside the parenthesis as well as outside, the emphasis is doubly effective) recommend Elephant House or the Home of Edward Gorey. The photographer (Kevin McDermott) does an amazing job fusing the reality of Gorey's home with the vision of Gorey's work. Honestly, check it out from your local library (I bought it but oy, that hurt... it was a while ago though, I have recovered and fallen into financial sorrow again- but this time on no account of Mr. Gorey, thank goodness). Anyway, here is the cover:



If I remember some others, I will post them and you can be amazed along with me- huzzah!

<3

Oh, and I finished the Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and it certainly did get worse as it went along (le sigh). Anyway, the chapters from the male perspective are genius but the women are just silly. I can't think of a single mother (much less a Catholic, Latina one) who would tell her children that she had "the best pussy" in all the land. Blows me away in a bad way. Alas.

Am now reading (as I ought to have long, long ago) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by my birthsake, Mr. Robert Louis Stevenson (I hope I spelled everything correctly). Am sure to love it as have read various other works (his children's poetry is randomly glorious, esp. when realizing that the fellow also penned such swashbuckling adventures as Kidnapped and Treasure Island PLUS "The Body Snatcher" which, oh ho, circular, was featured in The Haunted Looking Glass, scary stories chosen and illustrated to by the illustrious Mr. Gorey. Am suddenly re-sorrowed by the loss of Mr. Gorey, as he would've done the best illustrations anyone could conceive to Mr. (pretty-face) Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.... end parenthetical rant).

<3 again...

No comments: