Thursday, July 1, 2010

a bit of nonsense

The other day, I, full of shame, returned to Barnes and Noble to return to Barnes and Noble some books I had shamefully bought but not needed.  The trouble is, I will have no time to read them, though if I had read them, they would have been Immortality by Milan Kundera, Embers by Sándor Márai, and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, or Nesmrtelnost, A gyertyák csonkig égnek, and Le Petit Prince, whichever you prefer.  Why I did return them and have not nor will not read them as they came from Barnes and Noble is simply that I've got too much other buying and reading to do, mostly for school, as it were.

So instead of keeping and reading them, I exchanged them.  Instead, I procured copies of three books for one class in one quarter that is Fall Quarter or Autumn Quarter of 2010 that is Power and Practice and also BCULST593B and also also Topics in Cultural Studies.  Those books which I have bought and will read (eventually) are Killing Rage by bell hooks, Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom  also by bell hooks, and Discipline & Punish: The Birth of the Prison by Michel Foucault also known as Paul-Michel Foucault also known also known as Foucault that is in French Surveiller et punir. 

Of all these books, I've only read one, which is The Little Prince, also, 星の王子 in Japanese, I have read it.  You've probably read it in some language or another though, so I feel not the need to tell you about it.  As for the others, I have little to say-- I've read the first chapter of Immortality which was of a narrator reflecting on viewing a woman in her sixties swimming in a pool, recognizing the younger figure of the lady from whence this older woman sprouted.  I've read bell hooks' Reel to Real: Race, Sex, and Class at the Movies which taught me about the "oppositional gaze" and how to enjoy while critiquing.  I've read Foucault's The History of Sexuality Volume 1 but am too irritated still that the three volumes were so expensively published that I can't think more about it now.  I've written a poem, which you can read, but why would you want to?

Finding Cultural Studies books in the bookstore is a mess of work.  Really, you ought to just go to the help desk straight off.  I knew they had my books, but it took so long to find them.  I have located bell hooks books in Essays, African American Studies, and Cultural Studies (that dubiously name section also known as "things we can't figure out where to place" dear me).  Foucault seems to usually be in Philosophy.  Gertrude Stein seems to be nowhere- I have yet to find a single of her books in a Barnes and Noble, or Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude by Jonah Winter.

Though I should be happy just to find my "textbooks" in the bookstore, I guess.  I was lucky to find some very rare Transgender Studies texts in the North Gate store last year.

Anyway, this nonsense has gone on long enough.  Suffice to say, I've had a lot of reading to do, and will be reading and writing (hopefully non-nonsense) for a while to come. 

No comments: