Thursday, April 2, 2009

*Mi Familia and the UN*

We watched the film Mi Familia in class today. It was alright, v. sad though. I don't know, something about it rubbed me the wrong way. It's about a family headed my a mother and father who immigrated to the US from Mexico. It's just one of those immigrant stories where EVERYTHING happens to this one family- kind of like Come See the Paradise (about a Japanese American family). So basically, this family sees the following issues: gangs, drugs, murder, racism by the police, mysticism and religion (river god takes someone aka they die), son renouncing culture (change name to William), marriage for entry into the US, prison, farm labor, stereotyping, owning a Mexican restaurant, etc. etc. etc. it hurts my head all that they squeezed into this one family. Plus, you don't really get the narrator's story. Except that he was in the navy. Hm.

Maybe three stars ?

Then we learned about the UN in Human Rights Leadership today. It is all v. confusing, btw. My head hurts thinking about it, so I'll post something or other later. Don't much want to argue politics where all the world can see it (will end up political prisoner O.O whaa?).

Almost done with Prozac Nation- hoorah! And one of the other books for Chican@ (that's how my teacher writes Chicano/Chicana because it's both an a and an o... though I still have not met my professor yet. Is calling a professor just plain-o teacher bad?) Lit finally arrived- yay! It is short, so I shall begin it ASA my current book is completed.

Cannot stay up to watch Ghost on tv tho v.v good night!

<3

No comments: