Thursday, April 9, 2009

*TED, Yo So Joaquin, and Cesar Chavez...*

But not in that order. Anyway, I got a pocket world atlas today so that I can further my quest to memorize the location (then capital) of every country in the world (this one, not the others, if they have countries). Will become genius-like atlas woman with knowledge far and wide. (And sound Bridget Jones-ish in the process).

First book club meeting tonight; I just joined one in North Seattle (mom did too) and we talked about Prozac Nation. It was a pretty short meeting, less than an hour. Not sure how well I like it yet but I guess we'll see. Next month's book is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which I've already read, so that should go alright. Am all set, anyway. Month after is City of Thieves, which received a very high average review on Amazon (4 1/2 stars).

I went to the César Chávez Celebration and signed the petition to make his birthday (March 31st) a state holiday (here in Washington). This group wants to make it a National Holiday though, so, if you live elsewhere, hop to it and sign/start a petition!

A video about him, which I cannot vouch for. Just know that he worked for the rights of farm workers by creating unions and rallying the workers themselves to participate in non-violent protest, which included a large number of Latinos (mostly Chicanos) and Filipinos:


In case you didn't know, he was also a vegan...

Then I went to Chicano/Chicana Literature class and we watched these videos:



(The full poem can be found here: I am Joaquin)

Then this clip of an interview with Sandra Cisneros (who wrote Caramelo as well as House on Mango Street):


We talked about her experience wanting silence as a sort of Woolf "Room of One's Own" concept, and how this compared to another author, whose name I didn't get down, who was/is a single mother of seven children and says that her children are her music. She could not imagine writing in silence. Who is she though? Hrm.

We also read some articles, but I'm not posting them because I don't think you'll read them. I probably wouldn't if I were you. Hrm again.

Then I traveled to Human Rights Leadership class and we watched a few videos of the TED (Technology Entertainment Design) Talks. The first, by Alisa Miller, speaks about people's growing ignorance to world issues while access to media increases:


The second video was by Bono, which apparently I simply cannot pronounce correctly, who spoke about the situation throughout much of Africa. He says that "Africa is on fire" and that we can make our age stand out in history books by providing justice to the people of that continent. It is a long talk, but I provide it for your viewing pleasure nonetheless:


Apparently, also, there is no reason for my credits from Japan to be absent from my transcript at this point. Yuck. I shall have to call the Registrar's Office.

I am also nearly, nearly done with another short story, which I may post for your enjoyment/extreme loss of luckiness. Speaking of which, I found a four-leaf clover yesterday and pressed it in a very thin book. I should probably smash that small book beneath some heftier ones, but I am currently reading it, so this must be postponed. You see how complicated my life is, yes?

Reading: Canicula, still, because it is short but painful. As in, I'm bored. As in, I want to read anything else v.v
L: Nothing, but I just got The Fountain soundtrack from the library- huzzah! Not that I've seen the movie (I started but....) but the music is lovely (at least the few songs I heard before turning the movie off.)

Good night good night! <3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?? I thought you liked the book club. You bum. m

Amanda Martin Sandino said...

I did like it mostly, but I was sitting next to chatty Cathy gal. Plus, it was really really short for a book club meeting. Less than an hour, right? Crazy, man.