Tuesday, April 14, 2009

*Stand By Me*

The only thing good about my Chican@ (see the @ is both an a and an o, so it's Chicano/Chicana... I didn't come up with it) Lit class is all the YouTube shorts we get to watch versus actually listening to lectures. Wow, that's negative and I'm posting it up on cyberspace where ya'll can see it, but I just really dislike that class. If you do see this, professor, well, I'm not sorry because this is a journal and I can say whatevuh's I want to people I don't expect to read this thing. P-shaw?

We watched this vid, which reminded me of the "Where the Hell is Matt" Video I posted from YouTube a long while back with the guy dancing in various countries. This vid instead has people singing in different countries to contribute to this one song:


We also watched Tongolele dance:



Because she's a "cultural Chicana". From Wikipedia:
Yolanda "Tongolele" Montes (b. Yolanda Ivonne Montes Farrington, January 3, 1932, Spokane, Washington) is an exotic dancer and actress of the Cinema of Mexico. In Mexico she is considered the seminal "rumbera".
Tongolele became a professional dancer when she was only 15 years old. Her father was Spanish/Swedish, her mother French/English and her maternal grandmother was of Tahitian descent.
She starred in several films from the 1940s through the 1980s but most people remember her from the classic 1971 film Isle of the Snake People starring Boris Karloff in one of his last roles. Tongolele is still active in television, theatre, and nightclubs. She is still well known in Spain and Latin America.

So she wasn't born of Mexican blood but she moved to Mexico and etc. You have the blurb.

We made a bubble chart thing to draft out ideas for our papers. She said it helps her because she doesn't like outlines. But, since I like outlines, I thought the whole thing was a waste of time. And it took like twenty minutes.... maybe not quite that long. Anyway, I'm going to at some point start taping myself writing papers, because I think I'm better at writing orally than with my fingers. You know what I mean?

Then in Human Rights Leadership we had a 2 hr lecture from a fellow that works as a doctor in Thailand talk about human rights violations in Burma, which I've already studied, but still it was interesting in a depressing/I want to jump off a bridge into the sea surrounding Antarctica way (even though it's an ocean.... or multiple oceans.... Oy!). Anyway, app. this fellow that I had Chinese History with last year who is from Burma is going to be working with a group to raise awareness about the situation there at the end of May. Maybe I will see if they need help?

Elsewise, on TV, Agent Sexy Pants was not murdered by barbarous/wicked/lying/bitchy girlfriend of a tramp who for the second time pointed a gun at him and threatened to maul his fantasmic figure. Let me just say, try to shoot Sexy Pants once, shame on you, try to shoot him twice and I'm taking you down, bitch! (Oh.... vicious language.) For more info, watch this week's ep of Without a Trace and skip to the scenes with Agent Sexy Pants aka Eric close aka... I think his character's name is Martin.

And the gal that tried to seduce Angela's ex? husband on Bones was on The Mentalist as a Wicca. I think her character in TM was much younger... ? I didn't see it all though......

I might put up the story I wrote this and last week at some point, but it needs editing and it randomly became a social commentary and I'm not sure I like it. How can this happen- egads!

And this comic was in the paper today and made me laugh:



I think that since it has the author's info in the pic, I don't need to cite anything, but it's from this site:http://comics.com/brevity/2009-04-14/

<3

Same old R and L O.o do you remember what I meaaaaaan?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice video, the first one. The second one was sort of dumb. Sorry, but I am not sure that was the best "showing" of the actress's talents. Or maybe it was....ecchhh

Amanda Martin Sandino said...

I guess I didn't talk about it much, but the point was that it was objectifying women and exotifying "Mexicans" even though she's not Mexican...