Wednesday, April 8, 2009

*Ugh*

I feel sick and dizzy, so there is nothing much I can write. Tomorrow is my Friday, so I shall try to post something longer and more interesting.

We watched "How to Cook Your Life," a documentary about a tenzo, the cook/monk in Zen monasteries. Here is a trailer:


In case you can't tell from the trailer, it was not mind-boggling or really interesting at all. I thought that the Zen communities pictured are really far from Zen Buddhist ideals and altered in a painful way. I don't know what I'm trying to say, but we studied this subject before- the "Westernization" of "Eastern" religions. I don't know, it's just that, having been to real Zen temples in Japan and Seattle, these "monks" seemed more like hippies trying to escape than actual practitioners.

Also went to see a panel called "Slamming Slumdog" about Slumdog Millionaire. 3/4 of the panelists thought it was imperialistic and sexist, while the other thought it was anti-imperialistic but still sexist. Having yet to see the movie, I cannot engage in a "dialogue" (even though sans them here, it would be a monologue... though I prefer the term "soliloquy").

Feel Sick. Good night!


<3

R: CanĂ­cula
L: "How to Cook Your Life" trailer ugh.

Edit: I forgot, but we watched a similar vid to the one I'm going to put below, Sandra Cisneros reading her short story "Eleven" in class yesterday. The beginning of the story is cut off, so it begins:

What they don’t understand about birthdays and what they never tell you is that when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one. And when you wake up on your eleventh birthday you expect to feel eleven, but you don’t. You open your eyes and everything’s just like yesterday, only it’s today. And you don’t feel eleven at all. You feel like you’re still ten. And you are—underneath the year that makes you eleven.

The clip:


The story: http://74.125.95.132/searchq=cache:zXPRZmCxAIoJ:khsaplit.pbwiki.com/f/Eleven%2BEssay%2BPrompt.doc+sandra+cisneros+short+story+sweater+not+mine&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tu blog es muy interesante. Tu eres una mujer muy ocupada. Te quiere, madrecita