Monday, April 6, 2009

*Must.... Write... Short... Stories... gah!*

Trying to replace the ones in my Nanowrimo-ness with new ones. Working on different genres to improve variety in works. Apparently I tend toward supernatural-esque writing in the short story (with an attempt to be Twilight Zone-ish), but general fiction in my novels (except the on-going Bertie project, which is Children's Fantasy (with caps)). Who knew?

I would like to try some more crime writing (I did one short story about someone who wants to be murdered by a serial killer..... it makes sense in context?) but it's hard. Would really love to write something Noir-like (notice I'm switching up the ish, esque, ness, and likes). That would make me so happy I'd dream of chocolate sundaes for weeks on end without waking up hungry.

Anyway, apparently I do understand the Buddhist/philosophical concept of religion as explained by Nishitani in that it relates to something Tanaka said. Which Tanaka? If only I could remember- le sigh. Anyway, the struggle toward Enlightenment is generally like a person swimming into the ocean, with Enlightenment being the far shore. You swim and swim and swim and swim (and swim?) until you run out of energy and sink. As you sink and begin drowning/dying you can no longer rely on your own efforts. Suddenly, however, the ocean floats you back to the top, and you do not drown. This is like religion according to Nishitani. Does that make sense? Maybe not.... but it makes sense to me so hurrah for relating, ne?

Must keep diary in Japanese acc. Japanese sensei. How to do? Maybe instead will try to translate story into Japanese. Then I can get compliments on my writing which may or may not be sincere but will pump up my ego nonetheless and probably impede my journey to enlightenment (which is now lower cased for no apparent reason). Oh ego, you ruin everything. Id be a lot better if you'd just slip away (wow, that joke was bad even for me).

Reading..... nothing? Er.... I studied Japanese instead of reading today.... tech., I'm trying to read Sense and Sensibility but the attempt goes poorly. Am not enthralled. Must try harder because Austen will do pretty things to my ugly mind. Right?

Love and peace to you all! Except you, and you know who you are (You!).

<3

Edit: From the Usual Suspects, which I highly recommend, because I like the line: The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

No comments: