Monday, October 27, 2008

All Work and No Play*

Every time I hear that, I think of The Shining. I'm not sure if it's from the book or the movie, or both, perhaps? Anyway, I just gave myself the shivers. Shivered me own timbers?

As you probably do not know, since I think I've not written about it, I have been pretty much spending my entire break between classes doing homework, for the past few weeks. To give myself more time for work-finishing, I've been eating in the school's cafeteria, which is probably five minutes closer than the restaurant I ate at before, and less juice-having. However, there are distinct disadvantages to studying/doing homework in the cafeteria.

For starters, college students are crazy and loud (and crazy loud?). I don't much remember it being this loud back home, but then I haven't ever eaten at the school cafeteria at Seattle U. It's seriously insane though. Last week, this girl was chasing this boy around the room, which is rather large, and through the food lines. They were screaming and really going at it. This is not abnormal.

Generally speaking, someone or another is always screaming. I'm not sure why. Perhaps, there is a general lack of roller coasters in the area, and the suppression of screams leads to them bursting forth every so often, without any warning. They must hold them in for a long time, though, because these screams tend to be sustained and very high pitched. How, I wonder, does any eating get done?

Probably an hour into my break, the cafeteria workers (all women, hm...) start tidying a bit, and turn on the radio very loud. They listen to what I believe is the equivalent of 106.9 in Seattle, aka "easy listening". Lots of Celine Dion. And this too, is very loud.

However, it is very cheap and juiceless. Healthier, probably, as I'm getting meat in. Also, apparently the specific cafeteria I go to isn't very popular with exchange students, so it's basically just me and these other two girls. Which means what? I don't know.

At any rate, I've a quiz tomorrow and the next and the next and a test on Thursday for another class, so I'd best get cracking. Sorry for the general boringness of this entry; nothing much exciting went down today. I bought bread? Shrug?

Loves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The SU 'Cherry Street' had a very different atmosphere pending on what time you came. If you arrived around noon, a bunch of classes will have let out at 11:50am, so it was swarming. But if you came in the middle of the day--between 3pm and 4pm--it was a graveyard. It was surprisingly busy in the early morning (lots of law students), and always loud and obnoxious after dinner since lots of clubs and activities occurred then. Frankly, I preferred the library.

Amanda Martin Sandino said...

I always study off campus. There are just sooo many places around. I'm kinda a coffee shop type. It's my atmosphere ^___^