Friday, October 31, 2008

Book Dedications- Some More

Tad Williams,"Otherland" series:

Book 1:

"This Book is dedicated to my father Joseph Hill Evans with love.
Actually Dad doesn’t read fiction, so if someone doesn’t tell him about this, he’ll never know."


Book 2:

"This Book is dedicated to my father Joseph Hill Evans with love.
As I said before, Dad doesn’t read fiction. He still hasn’t noticed that this thing is dedicated to him. This is Volume Two – let’s see how man more until he catches on."


Book 3:

"This is still dedicated to you-know-who, even if he doesn’t.
Maybe we can keep this a secret all the way to the final volume."


Book 4:

"My father still hasn’t actually cracked any of the books – so, no, he still hasn’t noticed. I think I’m just going to have to tell him. Maybe I should break it to him gently.

'Everyone here who hasn’t had a book dedicated to them, take three steps forward. Whoops, Dad, hang on there for a second...' "

This reminds me of that Friends episode. If you're reading this, Chriselle, do you remember which one it was? Or the exact situation? When Emma was conceived? ??

To myself, without whose inspired and tireless efforts this book would not have been possible
-Al Jaffee, Tall Tales(?), dedication

The day I finished the book, I celebrated by phoning Maxine in Hollywood. 'Do you want to hear the dedication?' I asked her. 'Go ahead,' said Maxine. So I read it to her: To all the stagestruck kids who ever have, or ever will, set out to crash the theatre. 'What do you think of it?' I asked. 'It's much too sentimental,' said Maxine. 'Why don't you just dedicate it to me?' So what the hell: This book is for Maxine.
-Helen Hanff, Underfoot in Show Business, dedication

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which episode do you mean? I'm trying to think...